Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thoughts, Moments, and other Thoughts.

Drawers put their drawings in the Drawers. Yeah, figure that one out.

This blog post might end up being quite long, and for that I apologize. If you would like you can take more than one day reading it. Or you can just read that sentence up at the top and call it good, either one will work fine for me, but if you want funny stories and my dating thoughts, I would keep reading. I have 3 stories for you. And some thoughts about dating. So, we'll see how you like it. OH! And for all of those keeping track, which is actually only me, I'm up to 2,900 blog visits. Thats right ladies and gentlemen, The blog of Andrew Miles has accumulated 2,900 visits since the creation of it. Which was September 4th of 2010. Since then I have gone over 65 different blog posts. Crazy right? I think originally this blog was for all of the stuff that wouldn't fit in a Facebook Status Update. And as long as I can make people laugh with posts, then the blog is up for a good cause.

Story #1: The Flight of the Bumblebee Hornet.
 I came home after a lovely school day with one mission. To destroy the infestation of hornets in a corner on the outside of my house, the one to the left of the door to the back yard (If your facing the back of the house). I grabbed my Mom's spray bottle, and a cup. I filled the cup with water, and took the top off of the spray bottle, and combined the cup and the spray bottle, for quicker re-fills, and the opportunity to just throw water from the cup once the spray bottle top could no longer reach the water. I went outside to the corner, and sprayed for my life. Once or twice I'd see a Hornet flying by, not even belonging to the nest, and spray it as much as I can. Sometimes they would start flying at me, on purpose or not I don't know, but I would spray them enough that they wouldn't come near me. I unscrewed the front cap of the spray bottle slightly so that the spray of the bottle would be a straight accurate spray instead of a shotgun effect. Eventually I got bored and just used the cup to destroy the small nest completely. There was a damp hornet trying to escape once, and because he was damp he couldn't fly so high, so then, I sprayed him down. Each spray sent the hornet flying lower and lower, until he couldn't keep himself up anymore, and he hit the ground, where I poured out the remaining water in the cup onto it, and smashed it to death. That was my exciting adventure #1.

Story #2: Penpal from germany
For security reasons I won't use any names. For my Citizenship in the world merit badge I needed to talk to a student or scout from another country about their values and such. I already had a German Penpal that I contacted sometimes, but she was around 4 to 5 years older than I, and it felt odd talking to her for some reason. So I kinda lied and said that I needed to talk to a friend my age about German stuff for a merit badge. Quite promptly, she answered with a friend that she had that also went to America for 7 weeks or so. Who guess what, is my age. And I was totally expecting a guy, right? cause I said scout? Its a girl. Which is totally just that much better in some ways, but a tad more unexpected in others.




Story #3: Most Outstanding Sophomore
I went to our school's drama department's Drama Banquet. At this banquet they give out awards, such as best male actor, best supporting actor in a musical, stuff like that. So they get up to the best Male actor, and my heart rate goes a bit faster. The best male actor was chosen by the students. They had a choice of about 5 people, me being one of them for having the role of Hamlet for our Shakespeare Team at the beginning of the year. I did not get the award. But later, they did a teacher chosen award. A couple of them actually. Most Outstanding __________ (The blank represents the grade) They did 2 people from each grade, a male and a female. the start with the Female. Talia got that one. Very nice Talia, I really do agree with Mr. Shelley about that award. Outstanding. Then he gets to the Male one. My heart beats faster once again. I remind myself that it couldn't be me, multiple times, because I'm afraid of the disappointment when its not me. Eventually I can convince myself with stuff like that. Especially when the award is given to someone else. But you see, here is what happened: Its not me... its not me!! Get it in your head, its not you! "I've seen this young man improve greatly. Also, during a Rasa exercise, he destroyed his finger flipping over a table!" Wait. It is me. "The most outstanding Sophomore Award goes to Andrew Miles!"
I got a plaque and everything. It has my name on it. :D


Right, on to dating. So, my first date was not that bad. To me at least. To the poor person I asked to that date, I do send my apologies. The Saturday I chose for that date, had 2 seperate dates, but with the same girl. It was the first date for both of us, and we walked everywhere, except for getting her home. She said it was fine, but I don't know if she was OK with the 2 to 3 hours of nothing in between the morning and evening date. We swung for all of that time. But other than that it was a blast! I had the most amazing time, and she said she did too. So that was good. But the advice part. First of all, don't be all up tight about it. The only problem I had about Prom, as well as every other person in my group, was that we were so formal, so uptight, that we practically forgot to laugh! Any joke we thought off was cast off by our minds either because we thought it was too formal for a joke like that, or we were too busy trying to be the most polite people on the planet. If ANYTHING make her laugh. A date isn't that much different from hanging out with your friends, except for the whole partner thing. Instead of flirting with every girl in the group, you are flirting with one single girl, the one that you asked out. You are paying attention to mostly them and their needs and virtues as a daughter of God, and you darn well better be respecting those virtues! Do things for her, but not so much that its annoying. Like, for instance, taking their shoes off for them. Remember, your not trying to be the manliest man on the planet. let them do things too. Like, gee, wash their own hands. Opening doors is a no-brainer in my opinion, but escorting them to the bathroom at your friends house, at a casual date, maybe a bit much. The parents are a big thing here too. Upon entering their home, make sure you shake the father's hand, Firmly. A weak shake can show a lot more than you think. Laugh at any jokes that the father makes, but don't make a lot of jokes yourself, especially if those jokes would normally be said around your friend's humor. Talking too much seems a bit odd to me. Letting the parents do most of the talking seems respectful in my opinion, letting them be in control of the conversation. If there is a break in the conversation, an awkward pause if you will, ask the parents questions like, "May I see their baby pictures?". If they ask you question try to use long sentences with fancy words. For example: Q: "What did you do for your Eagle Project?" Bad Example: "I uh.... built a bench." Good example: "I lead over the operation of building a memorial bench for (name of small child here) who died of (something tragic). I modeled it with pictures of bikes, one of his favorite things to do." Q: "What do you plan to do when you grow up?" Bad example: " Imma make stuff for dem yonder computers!!" Good Example: "Well, after I go on a mission of course, I'm going to be a software engineer, hopefully for Microsoft or Apple." If they ask when they will be home, do NOT reply with something along the lines of "When would you like her back?" Although this may seem like the logical answer, its not the correct one. Set a time before hand, give them that time, and ask if that time is OK. If not, give something earlier, or listen to what the parents have to say. A joke may be placed in that moment in sarcastic ways like, "Hmmm... How about 8 AM?" Remember though, sarcastic. And most of all, Enjoy yourself!!! Please make her laugh. Laughter is the cure of awkwardness. And get to know her of course. Who knows, you may have just found the one girl that is brave enough to write you letters on your mission. Or the only one that remembers. Thanks for reading!! Have a FANTASTIC Day! Or evening or whatever!!

1 comment:

  1. you don't need to apologize. i had tons of fun, thank you!

    ReplyDelete