It was a great evening, I was just returning home after looking at the schedule at work, and my car started to do funny things. After a stop, I'd start going again, and the acceleration pedal would stop accelerating the car. it would only happen for 2-3 seconds. At first, I didn't understand what was happening. Then I realized I was seriously close to running out of gas. So, acting like any other person, I turned off of 300 East, onto Center Street which leads to Hearts, where anyone who has money can get more gas. I reach the intersection next to the library, and my car dies. I try turning on a couple of times, then after realizing it was still in drive put it into park and tried a few more times, and finally gave up. I put it into nutral, and let gravity do its work. The car rolled until it hit the corner of the intersection which has the Chiropractor's office.
I couldn't push it further, no matter how hard I pushed. Then, not kidding, 2 seconds after I realized I couln't get it any further, 2 cars pulled off of the side of the road up ahead and parked. A person from each car came and helped me, a man and a woman. Having NO idea who I was, they helped me push it further out of the intersection. Well we got it out of the intersection, and onto mostly the side of the road. The guy said it was fine and to switch the gear to Park, turn my Hazard lights on, and activate my parking break.
I thanked them both, and shook there hands. They're good deeds were definitely blessings for sure. I hope they get blessed plenty. One asked if I had a phone, and I took it out and showed her. The other asked if I wanted a ride home. He said he had the family in the car, and could get me home no problem. I convinced him I didn't need a ride home, (This was the first bad decision.) and thanked him again. Once they were on their way, I called home. Twice. No answer both times. I called Marie, and she answered, but then she told me she was at work. It went kinda like this:
Marie: "Hello?"
Andrew: "Hey Marie, where are you?"
M: "Work. I get off at 8." (It was 6:00 at the time.)
A: "Oh, ok then never mind."
M: "Why? What do you need?"
A: "I just needed some stuff done, its OK"
M: "What?"
A: "Well I ran out of gas next to the Library."
M: "Oh, ok. uhm..... well good luck."
A: "Ok thanks. bye"
M: "Bye"
Then I tried calling Mom, but accidentally called her work phone at PGJR instead of her actual cellphone.
I also called:
-Andrew Hill
-Cole Thatcher
Sadly the brove was either asleep or busy, and neither of them answered. At this point my phone was dying. Next was Mom. She was in a scout meeting though....
Mom: "Well it hasn't started yet, what do you need?"
Andrew: "Oh, uhm, well nothing really." (Second bad decision.)
Mom: "Just forgot where I was?"
Andrew: "Yeah, haha, Cya when you get home, bye!"
Mom: "Ok bye!"
Next was Dad.
D: "Hello?"
A: "Hey dad, Are you coming home?"
D: "Well I was planning on it.What do you need?"
*Phone buzzes
A: "Well, I ran out of gas next to the Library."
*no response.
I then realized my phone died. Right before I was about to tell dad I ran out of gas. How convenient. I walked to the Library, and thought of something to do. I went back outside, and turned my phone on to see how long it would last. At that point I called Blaine Johnson (Didn't Answer), and Jolyn Short. However on the second ring during Jolyn's call, the phone died.
I decided on going to the Chiropractor's office and use there phone. So I walked in, and asked to use their phone. The poor receptionist asked if something was wrong, and I told her no I just ran out of gas. I told her the number to my grandma (the only other number I had memorized. Another bad choice, considering I should have just called my Dad.), and she put it in and handed me the phone. I got the wrong number. Some... McCallister I think. Well I said thanks anyway, and told her I'd just walk home, I didn't live to far. So, I jogged home from the Chiropractor's office (Another bad idea. I would have met the officer there if I stayed at the car.), and got inside. At that point, Dad called me and told me a police officer called him and told him that a car belonging to his family is on the side of the road, and is parked too close to the intersection. The officer thought I ran out of batteries or something. so he called Marie (my sister) and she told him that I ran out of gas. The Officer parked his car behind mine and turned on his Lights. He was a very kind guy, and understood the situation relating to a car parked too close to an intersection, and sorta parked in the road. My dad and the officer talked while I filled the car up. I thanked the officer for his help, and then went immediately to hearts, to put 20$ of gas in my car.
This is one of those times you're glad you live in Utah.
Thanks for reading! No hard feelings to those who didn't answer their phones.
-Andrew Miles
No joke, I'm pretty sure your phone died the exact moment I tried to answer. I was wondering why your phone was turned off when I tried to call back. I'm glad everything worked out alright!
ReplyDelete