Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter

   Today at church, just like I'm sure many of you did, I learned about Christ. Yeah, I know, shocker. I learned about the atonement and how we can come again unto him through him. His sacrifice, his crucifixion. Well until about this year I didn't really understand the Atonement. How it worked. He atoned for our sins? How? But to be honest I was thinking about it too hard, and not looking at the big picture.

My friends and I go on camp outs here and there. We just drive up AF canyon, make a campfire, get in a large van, and talk about who knows what until 4 AM. Now you may think that the talks that get talked about get rather manly. Like video games, or girls, or other stuff like that. Well to be honest, the talks usually do get like that. But then they change.

Someone starts about their life, something that happened that they just want to let off their chest.

When you learn about the Atonement, you learn how in your hardest trials, Christ is there to help you. To help you up. My brother on his mission explained it like this:
Let's say that you have a very large bucket full of your soul. It has two handles, and is very wide and difficult to carry. We are striving to carry this massive tub, so to say, up the mountain of progression. Trying to carry our soul higher. Christ is always there. Often times we look to Him and we ask Him, tears in our eyes, why is my bucket so heavy? I am so tired. I don't know how much longer I can go.

We begin to despair, and He always feels our pain. The problem is, we are often so busy despairing, and telling Him how heavy it is, and asking him to take some of the weight out of the bucket, that we are completely deaf to His pleas to let Him help you carry.

'Your soul has two handles.' He says. 'Please, please let me take one. Let me help with some of the load.'

Finally we hear His plea. We let go. We stop worrying. We release our death grip on one of the handles and allow His careful loving hand to begin to bear us up. He begins to help you to see where to step. He begins to be able to help you find the path. Things become easier and easier. Our soul becomes lighter under His glorious influence, and we find peace. We begin to look around and the beautiful landscape. The wonderful flowers and view. The way becomes joyous and easy. Constantly moving up.

Then you see others. Other people carrying their souls. Christ is helping some of them too. You see how heavy it is for them. Your soul begins to yearn to help them. You look back at Christ and He smiles that bright loving smile that only he could muster. He tells you, 'I can carry this load. Will you please help these others?'

'Are you sure?' You ask him. 'My load is heavy, and the way is steep.'

He smiles again, and assures you, 'I am very sure. Let go. I've got you.'

-Michael Miles, Berlin Germany Mission
Well on this campout, we all had our hard times. We talked about our trials. Our hardships. and 100% of the time, the conversations lead to Christ. The gospel. On this camp out especially, I realized how Charity and Atonement really work. Its not just Christ. I have friends and allies there to help me carry my bucket too. I don't need to carry it alone. We talked about the atonement, and why it works. We talked about why its important, and we went over the parts I didn't understand. The spirit was there that night, and we all felt it. After a lot of talking and letting out my load, someone suggested a prayer.

 We all agreed and knelt down. In that prayer there was something that was asked for. A small humble sentence that changed my life. "Please bless Andrew Miles, that he will be able to feel the spirit, and know it is there". I broke down at that moment. I had never known anyone to do something like that for me. I felt the love of Christ, and the love of my Friends. At that moment, I saw the big picture.

 I have a very strong testimony that I know the atonement is true. I know that the Church is true. All of it is true. Friends are here to help, and they won't leave you behind in the dust if they know whats right for them.

Just let me know if you need any help, I'll be happy to see what I can do.


 39 ¶And he came out, and went, as he was awont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.
 40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into atemptation.
 41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
 42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, aremove this cup from me: nevertheless not my bwill, but thine, be done.
 43 And there appeared an aangel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
 44 And being in an aagony he prayed more earnestly: band his sweat was as it were great drops of cblood falling down to the ground.
Luke 22:39-44

-Andrew Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment