Tonight at a ward Christmas party, I experienced service. Here is the scoop:
Having parents like I do, I always end up staying past the ending time of ward activites and help clean up. This particular activity being the Ward Christmas Party. I was helping take in chairs from outside, where the party was held. While I was picking up some chairs, and readying myself to take the journey accross the parking lot into the building, I noticed some mothers joking and talking about a small pink mitten they had found. One of the mothers was going to different families to find out who it belonged to. It was a very small glove, and most of the little chilren families had already left because of the bedtimes of the children. I picked up the chairs I could carry, and started off to the building. As I entered the building I took a small rest to remove my hood off of my head, considering I wouldn't need it inside the church. As I removed the hood, I heard a family behind me. The small daughter of the parents was crying, and the father asked why she was crying to the wife. The wife replied that she had lost her left pink glove. Immediately surprised I had found the owner of the small pink glove that was lost in the parking lot, I hastily returned the folding chairs to their correct place, and rushed outside to find the glove. I found the mother that was looking for the owner, and asked for it. She said, "Oh, Its right over here." She gave it to me, but asked why I needed it. I replied that I had found the owner. She made an Oh! sound, and I think she said good job, but I wasn't really paying attention, I was too intent on getting that glove to the correct owner. I ran back inside to find the family just leaving the building. I approached the father handling a stroller with a child inside, and the family lagging behind. I asked the father if the glove belonged to his family, and with a relieved expression, replied, "Oh yes, thank you." Just then the small daughter walked up to her father, followed by the rest of her family. I looked down at the innocent crying face staring back up at me. With only one mitten, she covered the hand without a mitten with the other hand that was wearing mitten. I bent down and returned the once missing pink mitten to its rightful owner. That child would no longer go home tonight without her mitten. And one young man would walk away that night, thinking of the times he lost his mitten in his life, and of his wonderful friends, who returned it.
The face the little girl had was not just disappointment in a lost item, It was fear, that something horrible had happened to her precious prized pink glove, and fear that her left hand would never feel the warmth it once had.
There is my story for you all, I hope you read it and enjoyed it.
In other news, Michael, my older brother, has been called to the Berlin Germany mission, and will be leaving on February 29th of 2012. On Leap day.
Great story, and congrats on your brother's mission call!!
ReplyDeleteVery cool story. And good thought to wrap it up with. "times he has lost his mitten in his life, and his wonderful friends, who returned it."
ReplyDelete